Special Issue on International Student Success | Call For Contributions
Submission deadline- June 15, 2016 | Issue release- September 2016
Email submissions to issues editor- Dr. Rahul Choudaha ( Rahul@DrEducation.com )
Much has been researched on mobility of international students for meeting recruitment and enrollment goals of higher education institutions. However, corresponding discourse and evidence on campus experiences and how they contribute to success of international students is rather limited. The aim of this special issue is to advance research agenda and improve institutional practices with an aim of helping international students succeed in their academic and career pursuits. Potential research themes are:
- What are the needs, experiences and expectations of international students?
- What are successful practices, programs and approaches to help international students succeed?
- What is the empirical evidence of impact of support services and how they can be improved?
This special issue invites two types of submissions from around the world:
- Empirical studies from researchers/scholars/academics (3,500-4,500 words)
- Commentary and analysis from experienced practitioners (1,000-1,500 words)
- Advising international Chinese students: Issues, strategies, and practices. NACADA . Retrieved from http://bit.ly/1VoHhYR
- Arthur, N., & Nunes, S. (2014). Should I stay or should I go home? Career guidance with international students. Handbook of career development, 587-606. doi: 10.1007/978-1-4614-9460-7_33
- Bista, K., & Foster, C. (eds.). (2016). Campus support services, programs, and policies for international students. Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Bista, K., & Foster, C. (eds.). (2016). Exploring the social and academic experiences of international students in higher education institutions. Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Bista, K., & Foster, C. (eds.). (2016). Global perspectives and local challenges surrounding international student mobility. Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Cantwell, B. (2015). Are international students cash cows? Journal of International Students, 5(4), 512-525.
- Choudaha, Rahul & Schulmann, Paul (2014). Bridging the gap: Recruitment and retention to improve international student experiences, NAFSA: Association of International Educators. Retrieved from http://www.nafsa.org/retentionresearch
- Crockett, S. A., & Hays, D. G. (2011). Understanding and responding to the career counseling needs of international college students on US campuses. Journal of College Counseling, 14(1), 65-79.
- Shapiro, S., Farrelly, R., & Tomaš, Z. (2014). Fostering international student success in higher education. Alexandria, VA: TESOL.
- Kenyon, M. A., & Rowan‐Kenyon, H. T. (2014). The globalization of career services. New Directions for Student Services, 148, 93-102.
- Lane, J. E. (2013) How safe do international students view your campus? http://bit.ly/1LiSNFy
- Rhodes, G. (2014). What are the critical issues and challenges faced by international students on your campus? http://bit.ly/1YMbLIA
Related Professional Associations:
- Resources for Partnering with International Students, National Career Development Association (NCDA) http://bit.ly/15NCDA
- Supporting International Students and Scholars, NAFSA: Association of International Educators http://bit.ly/1VoMsI9
- Global Engagement Commission, National Academic Advising Association (NACADA) http://bit.ly/1QJA3gw
- The Commission for the Global Dimensions of Student Development, ACPA—College Student Educators International http://bit.ly/1iYTcRg
- International Education Knowledge Community, NASPA: Student Affairs Professionals in Higher Education http://bit.ly/1LiSNFy