Welcome to the webinar series on international students, hosted by the Journal of International Students. In this series of conversations among scholars, academic service professionals, and for us, we discuss, share ideas, and learn about how colleges and universities currently support these students, how they could promote best practices from their institutions and experiences, and what professional development opportunities they could create for themselves by having ongoing conversations.
In each webinar, we feature a panel of speakers, using a few questions centering on a theme in order to informally structure the conversation. We cover a variety of issues about international students and international higher education, such as topics of teaching and service, research and scholarship, community engagement and emerging challenges/opportunities. The webinars are run monthly during academic seasons.
To listen to the conversation at the next webinar # 4 (Dec 15, 2016 @ 2 pm CST: Immigration issues: Persisting gaps): — please bookmark and access this page.
Below are links to past webinars (to be added):
- Webinar 1 (September 10, 2016: Helping International Students Understand US College Culture and Navigate Support Systems): YouTube link [Notes] [Guest speakers: Dr. Christina W. Yao, University of Nebraska- Lincoln; Dr. Jason Li, Wichita State University; Dr. Shyam Sharma, Stony Brook University; Dr. Krishna Bista, University of Louisiana at Monroe]
- Webinar 2 (October 27, 2016 @ 2 pm CST: Student mobility in higher education): YouTube Link [Guest speakers: Dr. Anita Gopal, University of Maryland, College Park; Dr. Bernhard Streitwieser, George Washington University; Dr. Diana Carlin, Saint Louis University; Dr. David Comp, University of Chicago Booth School of Business; Dr. Eunjin Hwang, Sam Houston State University]
- Webinar 3 (Nov 17, 2016 @ 2 pm CST: Academic services: Best practices and gaps); YouTube Link [Guest Speakers: Dr. Amir Alakaam, University of North Dakota; Mr. Emmanuel Akanwa, Central Michigan University; Dr. Joanna Al-Youssef, The University of Nottingham; Dr. Swathi Ravichandran, Kent State University; Dr. Nara Martirosyan, Sam Houston State University,Dr. Tara Madden-Dent, Sierra Nevada College]
- Webinar 4 (Dec 15, 2016 @ 2 pm CST: Immigration issues: Persisting gaps): [Guest Speakers: Dr. Elif Balin, San Francisco State University; Dr. Uttam Gaulee, Morgan State University; Mr. Arthur Serratelli, Serratelli Mijal PLLC (Immigration Attorneys-at-Law), YouTube Link]
- Webinar 5 (Jan 26, 2017 @ 2 pm CST: International student retention, admissions, and transfer): [Guest Speakers: Dr. Chris R. Glass, Old Dominion University; Dr Suzan Kommers, University of Massachusetts Amherst; Dr. Susan Boafo-Arthur, University of Scranton; Dr. Jun Liu, Stony Brook University (SUNY); Mr. Emmanuel Akanwa, Central Michigan University; Dr. Stephanie McRae, Spelman College; YouTube Link ]
- Webinar 6 (Feb 23, 2017 @ 2 pm CST: Global Engagement: Domestic students as international students). [Guest Speakers: Dr. Rosalind Latiner Raby, Director of California Colleges for International Education; Dr. Tamara Yakaboski, University of Northern Colorado; Dr. Prashanti Chennamsetti, Texas A&M University; Dr. Uttam Gaulee, Morgan State University; YouTube Link ]